What Are Google Posts?
Google Posts are a new way to market to customers & prospective customers (people searching for your products and.or services on Google) through your Google My Business listing.
Google Posts are offers, content, events, or highlights about your business published – via Google My Business (not Google+…more on that later) – which post directly to Google Search & Google Maps.
According to Google, posting through Google My Business lets you publish your events, products, and services directly to Google Search and Maps.
By creating posts, you can place timely, action-oriented content in front of customers & prospective customers when they find your business listing on Google or Google Maps.
Where Will People See Your Google Posts?
When you publish a Post to your Google My Business listing, your post will be seen on:
- Your Google My Business listing.
- Google search engine results – in your Knowledge Panel.
- On your Google Maps listing.
Here’s an example of what Posts inside the Knowledge Panel looks like on search:
Here’s an example of what it looks like on Maps:
So basically, local businesses can differentiate themselves from the local competition by posting offers, events & even appointment scheduling from your Google My Business listing.
Should you be concerned with posting from Google My Business?
Why Would A Local Business Use Google My Business Posts?
Because you’re reaching people on Google & Google Maps when they are searching for what you sell!
Google My Business Posts can help you engage customers – and more importantly, prospective customers – in a few different ways.
GMB Posts will be effective because Posts allow you to maximize more real estate on Google’s search results page. You can showcase important updates about your business, help promote local events (schools, sports, charity…etc.), and drive more clicks to your website, and landing pages.
When people in your area (trusting you have good enough Local SEO) search for & find your Google My Business (GMB) listing, your Posts will be prominently displayed.
4 more benefits all local businesses (with verified, optimized GMB listings) will realize with effective Google My Business Posts:
- Captivating posts will make your Google My Business listing stand out from the competition.
- Posts appear more prominent on mobile devices…where MOST of your traffic comes from.
- People can share your Posts on their social media profiles, improving your engagement.
- People can click-to-call your business, book appointments or even complete an online purchase.
What Should You Post To Google My Business?
Special offers to new customers, business announcements & news, job openings, products for sale, and local events to name a few.
But beware, crafting a useful Google My Business Post involves an eye-catching image, compelling copy, effective calls to action…and landing page(s), visit & call tracking…etc.
Google My Business Posts for dentists can basically be divided into 3 categories:
- New Customer Offers: Google My Business Posts are great for promoting special offers to prospective new customers.
- Announcements: Hiring? Training for a local Tri? Share the winner of social media contest?…get it.
- Events: Event posts will expire after the event date specified. Think local community events, harity drives, educational nights & meet-ups, Halloween Candy Buyback…etc.
Every Post should include a high-resolution image or video of your offer, event, announcement…etc. and include details about the offer in the description of the post.
Here are all of the Post types as of January 2021:
- COVID-19 update
- What’s New
You are able to add the following call-to-action buttons (link to your website and/or landing page):
- Order online
- Learn more
- Sign up
- Call now
You don’t have to include a link or call to action button.
TIP: Use a compelling call to action in the 1st 100 characters of the Post.
Generic milk toast example: Our Red Bud dentists are open Saturdays, whether you have a dental emergency or just need a last-minute teeth cleaning, call us at (555) 555-5555.
The plan begins here, define your strategy & start crafting that ass-kicking, new-customer-producing Post from your Google My Business listing.
How Does A Local Business Use Google My Business Posts?
Creating a post is easy, even for the DIY business owner. The process beings in your Google My Business dashboard.
Post To Google My Business On Desktop
- Sign in to Google My Business. If you have two or more locations, click Manage location for the location you’d like to manage.
- Click Create post. Or click Posts from the menu.
- The “Create post” screen will appear. Here, you’ll see options to add photos, text, events, and a button to your post. Just click each field, and enter the relevant information.
- Once you’ve created your post, click Preview to see a preview. If it looks good, click Publish in the top right corner of the screen.
Post To Google My Business On Mobile
- Open the Google My Business app.
- In the bottom right corner of the screen, tap the create icon (blue plus sign). Then tap the posts icon that appears.
- The “Create post” screen will appear. Here, you’ll see options to add photos, text, events, and a button to your post. Just tap each field, and enter the relevant information.
- Once you’ve filled out your information, you’ll see a preview of your post. If it looks good, tap Publish in the top right corner of the screen.
Whether you go mobile or desktop, we advise producing a new Post or update to your existing post, each week. Remember, Posts expire in 7 days. (except Events)
Important Points To Remember About Google My Business Posts
- Google Posts are removed after 7 days (except on mobile).
- Posts stay live for 7 days, Events stay live until the event is over.
- Images smaller that 400x300px will not be accepted.
- New posts show first, older posts who inc carousel format
- Posts are shareable on Facebook, Twitter, & Email.
- Only the first 100 characters of text show in the Knowledge Panel
How To Track Your Google My Business Posts
Login to your Google My Business dashboard to view impressions & clicks of your Posts. Simply click the ‘Posts’ tab, then the individual post you’d like to see:
SPECIAL TIP: We highly recommended using some type of URL shortener and/or tagging system to see exactly how many conversions – website visits, purchases, phone calls…etc. – result from your posting efforts.
Using a discount code for offers is another way to track your posts.
Test, Review & Optimize Your Posts
Crafting a killer call-producing, event registering Google Post takes time, effort and expertise.
Since Google Posts expire after 7 days (except Events, and past Posts in mobile), this gives local businesses the opportunity to test, review & optimize their Posts with different content.
Just be sure to go about this optimization process systematically, review performance and make note of which posts are responsible for the most engagement, then do more of that.
How Google My Business Posts Are Different From Google+ Posts
Google My Posts and Google Plus are two different things.
Google Plus, G+, whatever you want to call it is Google’s – officially orphaned- foray into social media.
Google My Business Posts are content you publish to Google’s knowledge panel section of Google search results, and Google Maps pages associated with your business.
Is Google Plus Still Worth It For A Local Business?
Nope, it’s officially dead.
Google announced it was sunsetting Google+ in late 2018.
The keys to succeeding with Google My Business Posts are:
- A well executed plan.
- Superior content.
- Captivating imagery & video.
- Engagement with local people & businesses.
Once you have all of that in place, test everything – calls to action, images, button colors, text…etc.
That way you can get at least somewhat of a data-driven conclusion rather than gut feeling.
Are Google My Business Posts Indexed By Google?
Nope, not indexed, but remember – visible in the Knowledge Panel.
Need Help With Google My Business Posts?
Weekly Google My Business Posts are included in our Vocalize 360™ package, click the image below to start your FREE 30-Day trial: